Our Bench - Bench Cottage - Wheelchair accessible Accommodation for four with ceiling hoist and changing stretcher
Bench Cottage - Wheelchair accessible Accommodation for four with ceiling hoists
Bench Cottage is a semi detached bungalow providing wheelchair accessible self catering holiday accommodation on the outskirts of Lymington, just 2 miles from the New Forest National Park. It is purpose built holiday accommodation, with the addition of ceiling hoists, and is modernly furnished with all those home from home touches that help make your holiday easy and relaxing, and that can accommodate up to 4 guests.
All the accommodation is on ground floor, with level access through out. The off roading parking is outside the cottage - and then it is tarmac and completely level all the way through the acommodation.
Bench Cottage is an ideal base for the New Forest, Hampshire and Dorset. Fantastic day trips include trips to the Isle of Wight, Portsmouth, Southampton, Salisbury, Bournemouth and Winchester. There are lots of places to visit nearby from theme parks to ornamental gardens, wheelchair accessible boat trips, accessible cycling opportunities to enjoy forest and coastal views, museums and more, our web site contains lots of ideas of places to visit and explore that are suitable for all - a great place to start for ideas is our 14 day planned accessible holiday suggestions suitable for guests in powerchairs.
Facilities At a glance
- Two ceiling hoists - one in the masterbedroom and a second H-hoist in the accessible wet room where you will find a drop down changing stretcher too!
- A large light and airy master bedroom with a ceiling hoist, height adjustable profiling bed and additional profiling bed with turning space for a wheelchair.
- A large well laid out wheelchair friendly wet room with changing stretcher and or choice of shower chairs.
- Central heating, off road parking and free Wifi as standard.
- All the accommodation is on ground floor, with level access throughout with a large shared garden.
- Second bedroom - small twin room with 2 profiling beds.
- Access Statement available here, layout plan and 360 tour below (scroll down).
Bench Cottage is your ideal accessible accommodation suitable for wheelchair users and their families!
- There is a Height adjustable profiling / carers bed in the master bedroom with removable rails. The 2nd bed in this bedroom is also a head and foot riser bed. The beds can be arranged as a twin room or a king size bed or request, both beds are accessible via the ceiling hoist
- Accessible Wet Room with H-hoist and drop down chaging stretcher. There is also a choice of wheeled and static shower chairs or commode. The wet room is level throughout with adjustable height washbasin, standard height WC with drop down grab rails and optional toilet seat riser.
- Beautifully fitted modern kitchen with wheelchair access - including all the facilities you need - washing machine, oven, microwave, coffee machine, etc.
- Open plan lounge with an electric riser recliner chair, firm arm chair, and comfortable 2 seater sofa and foldaway dining area with seating for four, yet still enabling you maximum space to move around your holiday cottage.
- Colour television with Chrome Cast and Netflix in the lounge, second television in the masterbedroom for lazy morning or early nights!
- Free wifi
- Designed with wheelchairs in mind - there is plenty of turning space for wheelchair, and level access from the tarmac car park to your door
- We can provide a range of additional equipment such as a Sara Stedy, standing hoist, rota stand, choice of shower chairs for the duration of your stay - and have contacts so Oxygen, specialist matteresses, carers or even a personal chef can come along to make your holiday a restful break.
- The accommodation is made up ready for you - with fresh linen, clean towels, you are even welcome to have shopping delivered before you arrive... as hosts we understand what can make your stay easier for you!
Photos of Bench Cottage
Bench Cottage - New Forest Accessible Self Catering Accommodation
Bench Cottage accommodation comprises of an open-plan kitchen, lounge and dining area, two bedrooms and a fully accessible shower room, all to a very high standard of decoration and comfort. Sleeping up to four people including well behaved children and infants.
The kitchen is fully equipped, having split level work surfaces, electric oven, gas hob, microwave, fridge with small freezer, dishwasher and washing machine. All kitchen utensils, cutlery and china are supplied, in fact everything you are likely to need to make your stay pleasant, relaxing and enjoyable.
The lounge and dining area have comfortable seating, including a electric riser/recliner chair, leather style suite and a a digital television with Chrome Cast, enabling you to watch your netflix, amazon or You tube account. A selection of books on the New Forest to help plan your holiday. A gate leg dining table and four dining chairs make this a delightful room, with great flexibility for your holiday needs.
The master bedroom is made up as a twin bedded room as standard - one single bed is a full profiling bed (electric foot and head riser bed with added height adustability) and the other single is an electric head and foot riser bed. Both beds can be accessed via the ceiling hoist that is fitted - you will need to bring your own slings. The ceiling hoist has a two point spreader bar. There is also a large colour television with remote for lazy mornings, a wardrobe, bedside units with an alarm clock, for a perfect nights sleep. We have also included lots of additional sockets and a USB charger by the bed. There is now an option to make this room up as a king on request.
The second smaller bedroom is a twin, access to the two electric head and foot risers single beds is from the centre of the room. This room is not wheelchair accessible as there is not enough turning space - but is ideal for carers, children or family members. The room has a bedside cabinet, alarm clock and bedside light and open wardrobe and shelves.
The modern fully accessible wet room has a ceiling hoist (H-Hoist). The toilet is wheelchair friendly with space both sides for lateral transfer or you can choose to transfer on with the ceiling hoist. We can provide a shower chair which you can wheel over if required, and there is freestanding toilet frame if grab rails are required. There is a large shower area and intergreated grab handles. The adjustable washbasin can be lowered for your comfort. We have a wall mounted hinged changing stretcher (Changing bed) with adjustable back rest, which folds back against the wall, which can be used in the shower area. The H-Hoist can be used to position the guest as required.
All beds will be made up with fresh linen, duvets and pillows before your arrival. Towels and tea towels along with gas central heating and hot water is included in our tariff.
Outside Bench Cottage, there is a large shared garden, with areas laid to lawn, areas planted with seasonal flowers, a sensory and wildlife garden and gente evening lighting. The gardens are not overlooked - so ideal for bird watching and watching the stars at night - we sometimes get vists from foxes, deer, squirrels and other local wildlife. There is outdoor furniture available in both areas, including a garden swing seat - so you can enjoy the sunshine, listen to the birds, read a book or enjoy a BBQ. The guests at Little Bench also share this space.
Bench Cottage is up a long private driveway and the end you will find parking and turning space, all hard standing on tarmac and easy level access to your front door, so we are completelely step free from parking to bedroom and all in between!.
We also have a range of accessible equipment available to make your stay more enjoyable if required including a tilt'n'space shower chair, standing hoist, rota stand and overbed tables - which we can confirm availabilty of when you have booked.
Book Bench Cottage direct via our web site for our best prices and availabilty
Bookings are Friday to Friday peak season. Weekends (Friday to Monday) and short breaks (Monday to Friday) are subject to availabilty. You can book online (please add any specialist requirements in the comments box) with payment by card and instant confirmation - the underlined dates are days you can start your booking, alternatively you are welcome to complete an enquiry form and we will be in touch as soon as we can, where BACS and cheques payments can be made.
Please ensure you have read our terms and conditions, by booking with us you are agreeing these conditions
Plan and 360 tour of the cottage
We understand for some of our guests they would really like to see in advance whether the accommodation is suitable for their needs - our plans are not quite to scale and the furniture sometimes is moved around but these give you an idea of the layout and sapce available.
Bench Cottage Access Statement is available online - with measurements of doorways, hoists, weight specifications etc and you can view a rate card here - both open in a new window.
You can view a 360 degree tour below.
You are welcome to interact with the tour above, look around the different rooms in Bench Cottage.
Carbon Neutral Holiday Cottage
The electricity used in Little Bench comes from 100% renewable sources and the carbon from the gas used for heating and cooking is completely offset, helping to ensure that we protect our local environment for years to come. We encourage guests to recycle their waste - with glass, tins, cardboard, plastic, paper recycling, composting facilities, and with general race being incinerated to create electricity in the county. With the bus stopping outside the door, you can choose to reduce your vehicle emissions too! We do not have facilities to charge electric cars on the premises but there are fast charging points available in Lymington town centre.
Lymington has many restaurants, public houses and takeaways and lots of individual shops, as well as some national stores. Discover the hidden park behind the shops or visit our market which is held every Saturday from 8am till 4pm, where you can purchase everything you need for your perfect holiday. All within a 20 minute walk or 5 minutes by car. A map giving directions can be found in your cottage.
The New Forest National Park is on your doorstep, where 93,000 acres of forest are waiting for you to explore. See the New Forest ponies wondering through some of the villages, walk through the enclosures and see if you can spot a deer, park up in one of the many New Forest car parks and enjoy a picnic.
Come in the spring when the young foals can be seen everywhere, sit in the shade of the forest or on the cliff tops in the sun. In the autumn come and see the splendor of the autumn colours and in winter the forest is a magical place and there are so many attractions and museums to visit whilst you are here - you will find all the details in your cottage. Explore the local area further and see our suggestions of places to vist, In Lymington, the New Forest, or some Day Trip ideas.