Our Bench - Accessible Equipment for you wheelchair accessible holiday
Specialist Facilities & services for your accessible holiday
Our specialist equipment is included as a holiday essential - please do check it is available before booking if it is essential to your stay
We have a range of equipment available at no extra charge, for our guest to use during their stay with us to help ensure your stay is more comfortable and enjoyable.
- Any equipment must be booked in advance of your stay - so that it can be reserved for you and put into the cottage prior to your arrival - we confirm your choices once your deposit is paid, if you need specific equipment it is on a first reserved basis so please check it is available before booking.
- Anyone using any of our equipment does so at their own risk and the proprietors of Our Bench Self Catering accept no liabilities in respect of any injury, fall or the breakdown of any equipment whilst in your use. All equipment must be returned cleaned and in working order, and to be only used for the purpose it is designed for.
- If you are planning to request a mobile hoist or use our ceiling hoists, you will need to bring your own slings, be trained in using it and we recommend that you have at least 2 people present.
- We are sorry but we are unable to offer you any training or instruction for the equipment provided.
- We shall do our best to supply the equipment required but cannot guarantee it so please check availability before arrival, if it becomes unavailable (ie is broken by guests) we will let let you know as soon as we can.
How do I reserve something?
The easiest way to reserve any of this equipment - is by returning an equipment list, this is sent to you once you have paid your deposit. Please tick what you require along with details of the lead guest, cottage, your preferred 4 digit number and date staying, and we will try our best to accommodate you.
Information on hiring other equipment, carers and companions from external agencies can be found further down the page.
Details of all our inhouse equipment that is available for your stay:
The equipment you require is not listed above?
If you need different or more specialised equipment - you are welcome to hire it and have it delivered to the cottages on the Friday prior to your arrival between 10am and 1pm. Please let us know before you arrange this - so that we can ensure it is ready for your arrival, and someone is available to accept delivery. We have collected together a list of external services, agencies and hire companie, that our own family, neighbours and guests have found useful, who have or whom are willing to provide additional equipment for our guests for the duration of your holiday.
You will need to contact each supplier direct, discuss your individual requirements and order what you need. Don't forget to mention that you are staying with us at "Our Bench" and they will do their best to help - you are also welcome to remind them of our phone number: 0775 1064167 if they would like a contact number for delivery.
You are welcome to use other companies - if you do, please share the details with us as they may be benefical to other guests
- Oxford Journey Hoist - we are available to lend this additional piece of equipment but as it is not sude regularily, we need to arrange to have it LOLER checked for you, and we ask that you cover this additional cost, currently £80 per 6 month period. We need 6 months notice to ensure this prior to your holiday.
- Dorset Nursing Supplies are also happy to assist with specialist equipment and are able to deliver it prior to your arrival. Don't forget to mention you are staying with us and they will do their best to help. They can be contacted on 01202 425070. Their hire equipment includes (but is not limited too: Stand Aid, standard and low profiling bed, Dynamic Mattress Overlays, Scooters, standing hoists etc).
- Winton Health Care Solutions - hire equipment includes full replacement mattress (high risk), overlay mattress med to high risk), air matteresses and additional profiling beds. Telephone: 01489 896435
- Mobility Hire - this national company offers a variety of equipment to hire - products include wheelchairs, hand-bikes, scooters, lift and tilt shower chairs, tilt & recline shower chairs, air flow mattresses. You can order direct through their web site, or through the phone, and they reguarily deliver their equipment to the Lymington area on a Friday - so ideal - as it can be here for your arrival and can be collected on your departure day.
- Mobility at Sea - is based in Portsmouth and are the only Approved Preferred Suppliers of Mobility Equipment for Cunard and P&O. They offer a variety of equipment from Mobility Scooters to Power Chairs, Rotunda to tilt in Space shower/commode chairs. They can deliver and collect on a Friday.
- A local company, Richen's Care is able to hire out a range of additional equipment for the duration of your holiday - it can be delivered to the cottage prior to your arrival and collected on the day of your departure. You can contact Richens Care on 01425 638006 direct to arrange the hire (mention you are staying with us) and they will do their best to help.
- Ableworld based in Christchurch are also scooter hire - there is a delivery/collection fee to the cottages, daily and weekend rates are available.
- Dialysis machines - we have had different guests use the following services - Milford War Memorial Hospital - 01590 644135, Totton - 02380 660195 or Wessex Renal Unit 02392 0286000.
- Dolby Vivisol is the home Oxygen Service for this area, and should be able to arrange delivery for you if required.
- Mobility Equipment Direct - a national company who are able to provide a range of equipment from pressure relief mattress hire, alternative profiling beds, additional riser recliner chairs and more.
- New Forest Mobility - this is in New Milton, and is the nearerst pklace that offers product hire - including mobility scooters that can be popped into your car boot - they offer a holoiday hire, delivery and collection service.
- Solent Mobility Equipment Hire - Solent Mobility Centre offer an extensive range of mobility equipment to be hired out on a daily, weekly, and monthly basis. You can arrange to collect the hire equipment yourself, or we offer a delivery/pick up service* within a 40 mile radius of our showroom in Lee-on-the-Solent. (We are 38.3 miles from them).
- Hot Tub Hire - information about hiring a hot tub from a local company for your stay, to enable you to enjoy a Hot Tub experience during your time away.
If you require anything else then please ask - we know that everyone has different needs and we will be happy to help if we can or recommend a company who can assist.
- To make your stay easier you may like to make arrangements with a private care agency. Please contact and book with them direct, as they can then ensure they provide the service that you require, one of the best places to search for the right care is through the United Kingdom Homecare Association - you can search via location - please use the postcode S041 8HH for the most up to date list of carers available. There is high demand locally for carers so we suggest arranging this as soon as possible.
- Hampshire Personal Assistants in Care is a directory of Hampshire PA's - you can search for PA's available in the New Forest area and some are delighted to take on short term work. - https://www.hampshirepafinder.org.uk/s4s/WhereILive/Council?pageId=3434
United Kingdom Homecare Association Ltd (UKHCA) is the professional association of home care providers from the independent, voluntary, not-for-profit and statutory sectors. UKHCA helps organisations that provide social care (also known as domiciliary care or homecare), which may include nursing services, to people in their own homes, promoting high standards of care and providing representation with national and regional policy-makers and regulators, but due to the demand for care in the New Forest - it is essential to confirm your carers availability before you confirm your holiday dates.
Guests staying at Our Bench Self Catering Cottages have been pleased with the care they have received from the following companies, who are familiar with the cottages - although you are welcome to choose your own, and we always recommend you carry out your own suitability checks.
- CAS Care Solutions - They are a local, small, friendly team of carers who would be delighted to support you during your holiday time. Please do not hesitate to give us a call on 01425600232 and we will do our very best to ensure your stay at Our Bench is exactly what you need to relax and recharge.
- Oakhaven care provides sensitive and personalised care originally to patients at Oakhaven Hospice in Lymington, now they are able to care for people in their own home or staying in our holiday cottages and with all profits being ploughed back into the local hospice. The team would be delighted to help guests with personal care, assistance getting up and going to bed, washing and dressing etc. For more details visit: www.oakhavencare.co.uk or call 01590 646440.
- Bluebird Care has an office in Lymington are able to respite care, give them a call to discuss your needs.
- Forest Care - Home Care Services in New Milton who can be contacted at email@example.com or call 01425 620906.
- Serendip Home Care is a family owned and run care agency.
They are a small team of people based in Milford on Sea, they aim to provide high standards of person-centred care tailored to suit your needs. Serendip Home Care supplies a range of home care services to meet the needs of individuals. Home care can be arranged on an hourly, daily or weekly basis for a single visit or full-time live-in care. They are also pleased to offer Respitecare for when you need a bit more help for a week or two during a holiday or if you are a family carer who wants to take a break from looking after your loved one. Call them direct on 015907193501 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss your needs. Carers and companion service available. Limited availabilty in 2021 - due to staff shortages.
We have at times had private cares work with our guests - we advice as always to check that the care they offer is suitable for your needs and that you book and many arrangements direct - we have not seen their DBS status or insurance documents but we are aware they can offer care in the local community.
- Linda Dix- Mobile: 07910 905409, a local independent carer whom has provide care and support to my mum in her own home, and who would be delighted to help guests whilse on holiday in the area.
- Monique Jessop - Mobile number: 07311272273. You can view her on facebook here: https://www.facebook.com/Mjcarer-109531177617175
- Emma Cleaver - Mobile number: 07928499665
Order your shopping for the week online and have it delivered to the cottage on the Friday prior to your arrival between 10am and 1pm and we will put it in the kitchen for you so that everything is easy to find when you arrive. If you plan to arrange this please let us know in advance so we can confirm there is someone hear to oversea it. Shopping for mid week stays (Monday arrives) - it is essential you contact us first.
Have you heard of the Herbert Protocol, this has been created by Hampshire Search and Rescue and the Alzeheimer's society and we recommend considering putting this in place whilst on holiday or even back home if you have a vulnerable family member who may go missing. It is a helpful questionnaire which you should complete every six months, which can help alleviate stress if the person goes missing.
Taxis and Transfers - Wheelchair Accessible Taxis
- Accessible Transport based in Pennington - acctrans.co.uk - advance booking required. 4 seater rear loading vechicle to transport wheelchairs, powerchairs, 3/4 wheeled walkers, scooters plus passengers - Contact Brian - 01590 674764 or 07850 126844
- Wheelchair Accessible Taxi Service with Tracey Scott-Nash, Lady Driver, Ample Luggage Space for Airports. Holds one wheelchair and two passengers. Based in New Milton, covering the New Forest Area and Airports. For bookings and information call 0771 8907898
- Ian Pain has an accessible Taxi (carries 4 adults and a wheelchair user) he works mainly weekends, but has some availability during the week - to book call or text 0742 8380877
- A2B Taxis Lymington - www.a2blymington.co.uk - A2B Taxis are based in Lymington, in the very heart of the New Forest. We provide a reliable and efficient taxi and private hire service, not just in the town, itself, but also Lyndhurst, Sway, and all surrounding areas.
- Hinton Cars at Christchurc have a Berlingo accessible vechicle available on request - https://hintoncars.co.uk/services/
- The local council hold a list of all the New Forest District Council licensed taxi's or private hire vehicles that are wheelchair accessible - you can find the list here with contact numbers for each company: NFDC Wheelchair Accessible Taxi's and Private Hire. There are only a limited number available so booking in advance is essential.
- Driving Miss Daisy, Lymington is an assisted transport provider based locally with a wheel chair accessible vehicle. Fully licensed, insured and emergency first aid trained, we have chatted to the company and they have explained to us that they can take our guests sight seeing, out for a meal, for a picnic or an ice cream at the beach. If you are coming for a car free holiday - they may be able to help. They advise contacting advance for availability and costs at 01590 467 679 or email email@example.com and you can see some of their recent work on their facebook page - https://www.facebook.com/DrivingMissDaisyLymington
Care Taxi / Minibus
- A friendly driving service which we employ vetted and trained carers to provide friendly driving services to older people, disabled and for anyone who needs assisted transport throughout their journeys. They handpick their carers/drivers to make sure all our drivers meet our definition of “pleasant surprise”. They are wheelchair accessible and can take 9 passengers. Advance booking required. Contact details: 01590 642121 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Driving Miss Daisy has a network of over 45 teams around the country and they can offer a home-to-holiday service, safely delivering you to our accommodation. Check the website to see where your nearest team is https://drivingmissdaisy.co.uk/ - The National call centre number is 0333 014 6211