Bench Cottage Access Statement
Bench Cottage is one of a pair of semi-detached bungalows, purpose built in 2001 under the then National Accessibility Scheme guidelines with complete level access through a private drive with parking.
Outside Bench Cottage
- The bungalows are in a residential street backing on to a sports field where the occasional cricket and football matches take place.
- On arrival there are two painted parking bays at the top of the private drive with turning space opposite your holiday home. If you need to park right outside your door you may do so to unload but please park in a bay as soon as possible, so access is left for both cottages.
- Outside the front of Bench Cottage there is a shared seating area with outdoor furniture.
- To the rear of the cottages is a small shared garden which is grassed and shrubbed.
- A small outbuilding is available for charging scooters and power chairs and holds a shared tumble drier.
- A key safe is on the wall by the front door, to access your key you will need the 4 digit code that is in your welcome letter.
- There are no steps on entering just a small threshold to keep the rain out. We have a metal ramp available to insist you over this - available on request.
Inside Bench Cottage
- Bench Cottage is completely level with no ramps or steps anywhere inside the building.
- The outside door has a clear access of 775mm (31 1/2 inches) and all internall doors are 890 mm (35 inches).
- All lights and plugs are situated in an easy reach position.
- The open plan lounge and dining area has plenty of turning space with an electric riser/recliner chair and a 2 seater settee and chair.
- To allow maximum turning space the dining table and chairs are folding with the chairs stored under.
- Wall mounted flatscreen television with DVD player and a remote control.
- The open plan fitted kitchen has lowered work surface at the hob and sink with wheel in open space under. Dual height worktops - 920 mm (36 inches) and 795 mm (31inches)
- The electric oven, dishwasher, washing machine and fridge are all easily accessed. .
- The master bedroom comes with twin beds. One is a profiling / carers bed, which is height adjustable (min height -560 mm (22 inches)) - this bed has adjustable bed rails fitted which you can raise or lower to suit. These rails can be removed if not required. The other is a standard electric foot and head riser beds. All beds supplied with duvets and pillows and are made ready for your arrival.
- Bench Cottage has a second smaller bedroom made up as a twin with access down the centre. These are also standard electric foot and head riser beds. This room does not have enough space to turn a wheelchair.
- Master bedroom beds are 560 mm heigh (22 inches) and the twin rooms beds are 580mm (23" high).
- The fully accessible wet room is completely level, the controls on the shower are easily reached.
- The toilet has drop down hand rails either side and space for lateral transfer. Hand rail height 735mm (29 inches)
- The toilet is higher than a normal toilet - 490mm high (19 inches)
- The wash hand basin is on a gas cylinder which means it can be raised or lowered into a comfortable position for washing.
- Our beds and the electric riser/recliner chair can only take a maximum of 21 stone (133kd) in weight and the electric hoist 18 stone (114kg), if you need reinforced beds, chairs etc – then we are sorry but we are unable to accommodate you at this time.
- Bench Cottage is able to offer guests a range of accessible equipment to make each stay more comfortable and enjoyable if required, from portable hoists (bring own sling) to monkey poles, wheelchairs, shower chairs, walking frames and walkers.
- We are unable to accept dogs in Bench Cottage but we can not confirm that the property is free of animal hair - sometimes the property is visited by a local cat.
- There is no land line in the Cottage and we recommend you bring a mobile phone with you.
- We are completely non smoking and ask that you refrain from smoking in the grounds as it bothers other guests.